Monday, December 1, 2008

Eggs

I just found an interesting website about commercial egg production.

While I know that commercial operations are run this way, it just strikes a different note seeing the photos. I'm glad we now have our own chickens (10 total) that have been laying eggs for a few weeks now. Our production started at one egg, every other day, and now we're up to 7 eggs, every day. We have Barred Plymouth Rocks, a breed known as 'dual purpose' - meaning they are decent layers but make a decent roasting hen as well. They lay eggs in a variety of light brown hues, and you can tell when a new hen has started laying due to the very small egg size. We've had a couple of 'extra extra large' eggs which have had double yolks.

Next spring our chickens and guineas will have a new home; I've finally figured out a plan for a new coop that I'll build. Currently, the chickens and guineas live in the barn. A lot of my 'city' friends have never heard of guineas. Guinea fowl eat a lot of bugs, especially ticks. When we first moved to the farm, we had so many ticks outside you couldn't walk into the yard without picking up at least one. I remember my grandparents having a flock of guineas on their farm, and after some research, I found that guineas love eating ticks. So, I was sold. I currently have a flock of about 20 - 7 pearl guineas (the grey ones) and about 13 white ones.

So, to get back to the eggs, I have to figure out what to do with getting about 50 eggs a week. I think I'll offer up eggs for sale, with delivery! They are guaranteed fresh, with all the benefits of farm eggs. I can sell eggs by the dozen or half-dozen. Now I just need to come up with pricing. Any takers?

4 comments:

LynnMach said...

I'll buy you a really belated birthday lunch in exchange for some free and delivered eggs :)

the10sgirl said...

It's a deal! How many do you want?

Sparrow said...

Do you ever get any double-yolkers? I always loved those when I was a kid.

And hey, where have ya been? Did the chickens get you?

the10sgirl said...

Hi Sparrow - So nice to hear from you! I do get double-yolkers from time to time...you can kind of tell when you get one as the egg is rather large and has a small bump on it. I haven't gotten one in a few weeks.

I've been around. I've had some things going on in my life, and I think I've gotten a bit of 'stage fright' when it comes to my blog. I started it to get my thoughts out there...then started thinking that no one really wants to hear them! haha I'll try to do better.

I really appreciate your note, though...